Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sailing off of Mystic, Ct. on Labor Day




Our Friend Howie invited Frank (dh),Franky(my son), and myself on a wonderful day of sailing off Mystic Seaport. It was a picture perfect day! For me it was also a lesson in overcoming a longstanding fear of mine.....sailing! Silly as it sounds ~ I feel now that my kids are grown I have the freedom to take risks again. If I die ~ I know they will be okay. Now come on ~ I know other Mom's must know what I mean! We went out to the spot where the water from the Atlantic enters the Long Island Sound. Suddenly the waves became a good 3 feet and boat was tipped clearly on it's side. It was GLORIOUS! I wasn't scared! YIPPEE! Of course Howie is the guy you would want to be at the helm! He started sailing with his grandfather at a young age and has vast knowledge on sailing. His grandfather happens to be Hervy Garrett Smith who wrote many highly acclaimed books on boats. His book "Marlin Spike Sailor" is a must have for all sailors. Thank you Howie for a WONDERFUL day !!!






1 comment:

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

You little hot mama you! What a beautiful photo of you and family. I am so glad it was a pleasurable trip even with the added excitement of the waves. It's great to see you blogging again, I've missed ya!

Vintage books, Felted Bookcover and Wisdom from Martin Luther

Vintage books, Felted Bookcover and Wisdom from Martin Luther My dear Friends! How are you doing?  I have been using the time at home...