Friday, February 22, 2008

Signs of Spring and A Recipe for Tomato Soup

This week I started looking for signs of spring in my backyard ~ They were everywhere! I was shocked to see bulbs coming up and buds ready to bust open. But alas ~ this is New England. As Mark Twain, who resided in Conn., said ~ "if you don't like the weather in New England , wait a minute." Today ~ it's a big ole' snowstorm ~ 9 inches and counting. I was happy to have made homemade Tomato Soup yesterday for dinner. It was much better today with some buttered bread and freshly grated cheese on top. As I cut my bread ~ I remembered knowing which angle each of my four angels liked their sandwiches cut. I could still "feel " them sitting there waiting patiently for their lunch. They were the most wonderful kids. Now my Teddi and Jake sit just as patiently for a bite of Mommy's lunch. (doubleclick on Jakes photo and notice the tear in his right eye ~ such drama!) Ted gives me a sad look and Jake ~ one of desperation! As always ~ they weren't disappointed!

Homemade Tomato Soup
Saute 1 large onion in 3 T butter and 2 teas. olive oil till onions are transparent. Add lg carton chicken or beef broth (i use organic), salt and pepper, 3 pitches of thyme, large can of each of these ~ Muir Glen tomato puree, crushed tomato, diced tomato with hot peppers, sprinkle of parsley. I simmered this for 45 minutes and it was ready to eat. HOWEVER ~ it was MUCH better the next day!
Add a sprinkle of freshly grated cheese to the top.Also for a nice touch ~ how about adding a few cups of fresh veggies.


































No comments:

Vintage books, Felted Bookcover and Wisdom from Martin Luther

Vintage books, Felted Bookcover and Wisdom from Martin Luther My dear Friends! How are you doing?  I have been using the time at home...