Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Recipe for Your Turkey Leftovers ~ Tips for the Upcoming Season

Please note I revised the recipe at bottom of post ~ I forgot to list the carrots and turkey gravy! It is now correct ;)


I am hopeful my friends that you all had a Peaceful and Loving Thanksgiving.



This year I used Grama's china ~ the same china we had countless Holiday meals since 1965 when she bought it.
The best was pouring gravy from that gravy boat ~ something I haven't done since I was maybe 14 years old.
Everything turned out yummy and I think we started a new tradition this year ~ making Gingerbead Houses after dinner.


 My girls made a tiny Gingerbread Village that turned out Beautifully!




 The Cranberry Bread came from a recipe I got from a Cookbook I bought on our honeymoon in Block Island.



Look how worn out the book is !



 I used Grama's Cooper Mirro Jello Mold and I will never use Tupperware again!


 Oh and I had to share these pic's of Teddi in his new car seat!
 My son's dog Daisy was a bit put out that she can't sit in it too.


 I love seeing this smile on my little man's face!


 Today is the last day for leftovers so I thought I'd share my recipe for Turkey Ala King.
We will have this tonight and finish up the pies and jello for dessert.

Terri's Turkey Ala King

1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 onion chopped
1 large carrot diced very small 
Butter ( I use about a 1/4 stick)
3 tablespoons flour
All of your Turkey leftovers (more than 2 cups ~ double above ingredients)
Peas (leftover or 1 cup or so frozen)
Left over gravy if you have it

Melt butter in large fry pan and add onions and carrots.Cook med. heat until onions are clear and carrots are soft
Mash a chicken bouillon cube into onion/butter ~ then
Whisk flour with a 1/4 cup of milk then add to skillet.
Stir quickly as you add the rest of the milk, salt and pepper and gravy.
As this thickens ~ you may need to add more milkif it is too thick  ~ too thin add more flour.
Add your turkey , continue to mix until well blended and the thickness you like.
Add peas and mix well then  turn off heat and cover for a few minutes.

Serve over toast or noodle.
Thicken a bit more and add to a baked pie crust, bake at 350 for 20 minutes ~ and you have Chicken Pot Pie.
Add to a casserole dish and top with leftover mashed potatoes (Mix 1 egg to potatoes and mix well before topping )
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes and you have Turkey Shepard's Pie.

Have A Happy, Relaxing Week-end!
How about pouring yourself some eggnog in a fancy glass with a dash of grated nutmeg on top ~
put on the Chrismas tunes and do some cyber shopping, Christmas gift wrapping or list making.

I know it's a crazy time of year but it's so wonderful.
Everyone scurrying around with the intent on bringing a smile to a loved ones face.
Give less if you must but pack in more love.

Collect all the department store coupons you see in an envelope and carry them with you.
Don't buy a single thing on line before checking "Retail Me Not" and other sites for cyber codes.
I find a coupon for almost every site!

Don't waste your time writing "fluffy" Christmas letters for your Christmas cards.
If you write them ~ make them honest with the intent of building up the spirit of the reader.
Remember how loved you are ~ especially by your Heavenly Father.
He has a Twinkle in His eye Just for YOU.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Adorable gingerbread house!

Vintage books, Felted Bookcover and Wisdom from Martin Luther

Vintage books, Felted Bookcover and Wisdom from Martin Luther My dear Friends! How are you doing?  I have been using the time at home...