Sunday, November 4, 2007

A Grey Gloomy Day Turn's to Sunshine :)
















Sat. morning was one of those grey cold and gloomy day's we sometimes have in November here in New England. I decided to start the day driving to Oxford ~ the next town over ~ to attend a Holiday Fair. I had some cash tucked away from my tag sale a few weeks ago and was in a spending mood!I was able to get Frank his favorite soap from Sunflower Farm http://www.sunflowerfarm.com/ who had a booth there but sadly nothing else struck my fancy. As I pulled out of the parking lot ~ I noticed a sign saying BARN SALE. I pulled up this long driveway to a beautiful vintage home sitting high on a hill ~ overlooking the center of Oxford. I tried not to trip over myself getting out of the car ~ heh! heh! ~ cash burning a hole in my pocket! The first thing I noticed as I walked in were 2 corner shelves. Just the night before I was hanging some pictures and wishing for a few of these to fill some lonely corners in my home. Did I mention they were marked only $5.00 each! ( the pic of the other one turned out too dark but is a beauty!) I could feel my giddy self starting to overheat as I tried to remain calm! In the background ~ James the owner had piles of albums and was playing one on a real record player!To my left was a variety of colorful glass items from the 50's. The price ~ $1.00 each! I quickly decided I would buy the entire pile ~ ~ ~ until I went upstairs to more heavenly treasures and saw this wonderful R. Atkinson Fox print. James had alot of information about the print but I was too excited to write it down at the time.
You feel as though you can step right into it the scene ~ it took my breath away! I could hear my Mom's voice say "It's better to have one really nice thing." so I knew I would have to buy it and forgo bringing home the entire pile of 50's glass item's. I did manage to bring home the precious little orange flower pot, vase, coaster's etc. At the bottom of the coasters it says "not an ashtray" ~ oh such days of innocence gone by! Notice the beautiful doily! I thought it made a perfect cover for my water. James beautiful wife , Terry came out to the barn for a minute. She is a portrait artist. Later in the day ~ I went to their web site and was blown away by her talent. http://www.terryjamesart.com/ Driving home ~ I felt so blessed to find such bargains and to have met such an interesting couple. My gloomy day turned to SUNSHINE! P.S. notice the maple tree outside my kitchen window ~ still green as a summer day on November 3rd!

1 comment:

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

Oh how I enjoyed your day with you. What fun!!! I can just imagine finding a barn sale when not expecting it. It thrills you to your toes. Then to actually find great stash to top that off! Well, all that I would need to complete the day would be one of those frozen orange drinks,LOL ,only kidding! I am delighted that you shared your blissful day with us.

Vintage books, Felted Bookcover and Wisdom from Martin Luther

Vintage books, Felted Bookcover and Wisdom from Martin Luther My dear Friends! How are you doing?  I have been using the time at home...