Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Road Trip Home ~ Overnight Stay In Staunton, Virginia

I left Taylors, SC 5:45 am to start my trip home. It was a rainy, cold morning and I found myself in several traffic back ups as I approached the mountains due to zero visibility because of the fog.

I arrived in Staunton, Virginia at the Stonewall Jackson Historic Inn about 4:00 pm.

AGAIN ~ for just a little over $100.00 per night ~ I found myself in a stunning hotel!!!
Beautiful Christmas music from the piano on the balcony greeted me as I checked in.



Staunton is filled with the same history and eye popping architecture as Lexington , Va
but on a much grander scale.

This is the train stop for the Amtrak Train. It was located down the hill from my room ~ I watched at night as the train rolled in and I could see the passengers in their private train cars gazing out the window as they waited to take off again. I wondered where they were headed and if it was a happy trip for them.





Oh BOY! A beautiful quilt shop ! I was in my glory but just bought a spool of pearl cotton.


Don't you just LOVE cobblestone streets!







So just imagine how GIDDY I was when I ventured out on foot shortly after I arrived in town for a nice Italian Dinner and ran into THIS crazy quilt display across the street from my hotel ~ at the Staunton Historical Society.





This crazy quilt was from the late 1800's.



This is the beautifully restored floor of the Staunton Historical Society's building.





As I left town the next morning ~ I spotted this sign explaining that this main road in Staunton was part of the most heavily traveled in Colonial America ~ linking the Great Lakes to Augusta, Ga.


Now off to Pa. in Amish Country for one more night on the road.
My sweet Mom insisted on treating me to a stay at my fave hotel room away from home ~ Room 905 at

1 comment:

preservecottage said...

Looks like a fabulous trip. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Pamela